Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January 23, 2013
The song The Water Is Wide is an old English folk song dating back to the 1600's.  It is a love song or, more correctly, a broken heart song whose lyrics compare the jilted love of the narrator with that of wide too deep and wide to cross over without a boat.

The water is wide, I can-not cross o'er
And neither have I the wings to fly.
Build me a boat that can carry two,
And both shall row, my true love and I.

A ship there is and she sails the seas.
She's laden deep, as deep can be;
But not so deep as the love I'm in
And I know not if I sink or swim.

I leaned my back up against a young oak
Thinking he were a trusty tree
but first he bended and then he broke
Thus did my love prove false to me.

O love is handsome and love is fine
Bright as a jewel when first it's new
but love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like the morning dew.
And fades away like the morning dew.

There are many versions of this song but the most moving version I've ever heard is the instrumental arrangement by guitarist Ed Gerhard.


Keep it Acoustic...
Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment